Welcome Members News Search Committees
  You are not logged in Log in
You are here: Home » Minutes » 2005-02-04 Business Meeting

2005-02-04 Business Meeting

Minutes including nomination for Districts 1, 3 & 5 representatives; CLARIS update; IOWAGISDATA.ORG & COUNTYGISDATA.ORG domains; committee reports; Attached Legislative report by Jeff Rodda
2005-02-04 ICITBusiness Meeting minutes     ICIT BUSINESS MEETING MINUTES
        9:30 a.m. Friday, February 4, 2004
    ABC Virtual Communications, West Des Moines

X Present
X    President: Micah Cutler, GIS Administrator (Harrison)
X   Vice President: Jason Siebrecht, GIS Administrator (Linn)
X    Sec./Treas: Ray Willis, Mapping Specialist (Polk)
X   Past President: Jim Rice, MIS Director (Cerro Gordo)
X    Tech. Advocate: Matt Boeck, GIS Coordinator, (Mahaska)
X   District 1 Rep: Scott Williams, IS Director (Marshall)
X    District 2 Rep: Sara Zimmerman, Network Admin., (Butler)
X    District 3 Rep: Micah Van Maanen, Director of IT (Sioux)
X    District 4 Rep: Mike Schonlau, GIS Director (Pottawattamie)
X    District 5 Rep: Pete Buckingham, GIS Coord., (Washington)
X    District 6 Rep: Kim Veeder, Systems Analyst (Black Hawk)

                                        Committees..
X    Education and Schools: Mark Castenson (Warren)
    Legislative: Jeff Rodda (Polk)
X    Membership, Nominating and Awards: Wayne Chizek (Marshall)
X    On-Line Services: Scott Williams (Marshall)
X    Business Continuation: Jim Rice (Cerro Gordo)
X    Cadastral: Ray Willis (Polk)
    HIPPA: [AdHoc] Randy Snyder (Warren)

1. Call meeting to order - Micah
    Discussion about setting up a petty cash fund for board meetings
    with members contributing cash to cover lunch expenses and the
    "extra" being held for future meetings.
    Motion by Jim, Sara 2nd, passed unanimous

2. Financial and Membership Report - Ray
    Current balance $13,106.52, no expenses anticipated until ISAC
    Spring School; Active membership is now 118, expecting 3 new
    registrations from Polk County soon

3. ICIT Committee activities
    a. Education & Schools - Mark (chair) commented that the agenda
        for Spring School is light, business meeting will be Wednesday,
        March 16th, from 1:30 to 2:45. Discussion about having an ICIT
        hospitality room both Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.  All
        agreed that it would be better to have the room open Tuesday
        rather than Thursday evening
    b. Legislative - Jeff (chair) *see written report at the end of minutes
    c. Membership, Nominating & Awards - Jim (chair) nothing to
        report, no meeting yet by the awards committee.  Will put in extra
        effort to bring in people from counties with no representation in
        ICIT. Nominations for Districts 1,3,5 Scott Williams, Micah
        VanMaanen, Pete Buckingham, VP, is open, Sec/Treas, Ray Willis.
        Scott said that he would like to nominate Jeff Rodda (Polk) for an
        for his efforts in helping get the CLARIS project this far along in
        such a short time.  He thought that Jeff's expertise on land
        records very deserving of a nomination, and went on to say that
        Jeff had been the "MVP" for the committee.  Wayne, suggested
        take nominations from each district, maybe a technology person
        of the year.  Jim - question of a budget for awards; Wayne
        recommend that awards have a budget of up to $100 per award
        (wall plaque); Jim said the treasurers have both a traveling award
        and an individual award.
        Jim - motion , Micah 2nd - unanimous vote to set the budget for
        awards at $100 and establish a traveling award that will have
        recipients names engraved.
    d. On-Line Services - Scott (chair) Working on the on-line vendor
        registration form for the mid-year, then on the member on-line
        form, two parts to the vendor, one for the company and one for
        the participants; he has been asked to do a GIS survey in web
        form. ICIT now owns the domain for the GIS repository named
        IOWAGISDATA.ORG and IOWAGISDATA.COM; may also use
        .NET for administrative; 10 year registration cost of $248.  Scott
        has also reserved another domain for COUNTYGISDATA.ORG,
        .NET and .COM for the same 10 year period.
        He also purchased a managed DNS service allows up to 50
        domains for $29.95/year provided by DNS Made Easy.  This
        should allow http re-directs for any county that wants to add
        their name to the domain list.
    e. Business Continuation - Jim (chair) now combined with HIPPA
        Security - pretty well wrapped up with the ISAC efforts; both
        security and business continuation available on the ISAC web
        site, may be asked to provide training.  After April the HIPPA
        portion of the committee will become inactive, may want to
        split business continuation back out.
    f. Cadastral Committee - Ray (chair)
        Just getting reorganized
        Current members: Dean Neal (Woodbury), Karen Fouts (Sidwell),
        Melanie Ewalt (Marshall), Mark Penkert (Polk), Terri McDermott
        (Polk) Mike Schonlau, Kim Veeder (Black Hawk); past members
        Jerry Lawson (Shelby) and Jon Lubke (Winneshiek) may still be
        interested. Micah Cutler will be acting as the liaison between
        ICIT and IGIC. IGIG would like to have the ICIT Cadastral
        Committee help with topics for a 4 hour wor kshop during their
        next conference at the end of
        August. Their suggestions for topics:
        Discussion on workflows
        Traditional vs. Tagged Model - Pros and Cons
        Managing ROW acquisitions on transportation projects
        Maintenance discussion/ideas
        Geodatabase design
        Hints, editing tools, etc.
        Integrating survey info in parcel data model
        Parcel data models, maintenance techniques and procedures
        What's new in parcel mapping?
        How to do it and know it is correct

4. Organization updates
    a. ISAC Executive Board - Wayne, ISAC grant for position now
        approved and money is available, have not yet advertised for
        position.  Last Friday met with Iowa Supreme Court Chief Justice,
        Louis A. Lavorato, who talked about the Iowa court budget
        problems; Gov. Vilsak spoke to the board about education, next
        big push is going to be on governance - governance committee
        structure - want to allow any level of government to rethink how
        services are provided.  Iowa is the 10th highest in the nation for
        ratio of public employees to population, Iowa #1 in the nation
        for ratio of public employee salary to private; both numbers need
        to be taken in context.  ISAC looking at support documentation
        for these figures.  Comparing to salary levels for industry, State
        at 146%, all local government at about 110%, Governor  pushing
        for March deadline on putting together proposals. Key is to
        reexamine how we provide services.  If you are going to ISAC,
        second session in the morning will be on this issue.
    b. E-Recording Committee - Scott, CLARIS went live January 31st;
        demonstrations to the legislature last Monday and Tuesday and
        was well received - payment engine not yet ready should be
        within the next couple of months, land records primarily no vital
        statistics records. Jim is in charge of working with those
        recorder's who have "in house" systems.  The goal is to have all
        99 counties on by next January 31st.
        Scott - the current ICIT members on the CLARIS committee are
        Mitch Tollerude (Scott), Kathy Bloomquist (Dallas), Jeff Rodd
        (Polk), Stott Williams (Marshall), Jim Rice (Cerro Gordo),  project
        team now consists of 12 recorders and 5 ICIT representatives.
        The board agrees that we want a continuing ICIT presence
        (discussion by Wayne about how many ICIT reps should be
        involved to provide continuity - maybe the ICIT board could
        send a message of support).
    c. GIS Data Repository- Wayne, check is now in hand, accounts are
        set up, January committee meeting - how to handle the sharing
        agreements, disadvantage with 28E agreements is that would
        require each county to have agreements with each adjoining
        county. David Vestal suggested to contract with ICIT who would
        at most have 99 contracts. Data will be stored at 3 levels;
        participants are agreeing to post minimum data to level 1 (10
        layers), level 2 could put out additional data, level 3 secure data
        for emergency people only.  The grant will fund the project for 2
        years. Motion by Ray second by Jim 2nd - unanimous vote that
        the ICIT Board appoint Wayne to work with David Vestal in
        drafting a contract for participants in the data repository.
        Discussion about the concept of ICIT entering into a contract
        to provide services: concern about liability; Scott - each
        participant can determine what data goes into each directory and
        who has access by level - funds are there for project coordinator
        (administrator), part time scheduled sessions with other affiliates.
        There will probably be 5 committees; policies, educational, data
        standards, IT, and public relations.  There will probably be a need
        for a Project Coordinator position.
    d. IGIC - Micah - created GIS data CD's for distribution to those
        counties that do not have GIS data - have asked Matt Boeck to
        champion these efforts; Alan Jensen will be at our ISAC board
        meeting on Wednesday.  Discussion about the State GIS
        Coordinator position; Micah, Ray and Wayne now a committee
        to develop a "expectation" list for Alan Jensen.
        The committee will send GIS Coordinator list of expectations.
        Matt Boeck will talk with Alan about CD of data for those counties
        without data.
    e. CIAO (Central Iowa ArcUsers Organization) - Mark - met on 20th
        that was basically an SDE meeting - next meeting on the 3rd
        Thursday of April in Clive.
    f.  EIGIS (Eastern Iowa GIS group)- Jason - also met on the 20th all
        day, 50 people, introductions, Jim Gigliarano did a web
        presentation, ESRI architect, data sharing and data costs
        discussion by Jason

5. Bob Rafferty (former technology coordinator at ISAC) suggested
    that ICIT members should consider providing "services" to other
    counties and/or organizations. Scott - no one got involved in the
    CLARIS project knowing that they might get paid.  Bob's idea is
    that counties or county employees be allowed to contract for
    services to other organizations; maybe set up an ICIT Marketplace
    for services and allow advertising for services needed - a county
    office could contract to provide the services through their
    employees.  This topic could be a discussion session at the
    Mid-year conference.

6. ISAC Spring School - Mark - copy of the agenda
    a. Hospitality Room in Marriott - for Wednesday and Thursday
    evenings ($175/day) discussion about getting the room for
    Tuesday and Wednesday instead - food Pizza and Pop - bring
    your own beer. Vendors will only be there on Thursday.
    b. Nominations -
        District 1- Scott Williams (Marshall)
        District 3- Micah VanMaanen (Sioux)
        District 5- Pete Buckingham (Washington)
        VP - open
        Sec/Treasurer - Ray Willis (Polk)

7. Mid-Year Conference - Jason
    a. Theme - Technology Expedition, Kim and Melanie working on
        decorations and theme.  Barb Berquam had the winning theme
        and will receive a one year free ICIT membership. Pricing for
        conference: 2 breakfast, breaks, 2 lunches, banquet Wednesday
        evening food costs about $125/person, (estimating 150
        registrations and 20 vendors) should be nearly break even -
        vendors $400 registration + $125 for additional people;
        registration will cover 3 tickets for parking - vendors can
        sponsor breaks for $400 and possibly $400 for parking.  Wayne -
        suggestion to host Past Board members and 1 guest for the
        evening banquet. Discussion about pricing additional banquet
        tickets for guests/ spouses at $20.
    b. Registration dates - pending web page registration. Conference
        dates: 15th - 17th June

8. Old Business - none

9. New Business - none

10. Next meeting and adjournment - board meeting in 2nd week of
    April in Cedar Rapids or possibly at ABC Virtual from 10:00 - 2:00


*Legislative report by Jeff Rodda

Sorry I missed the meeting Friday.  I hope you all enjoyed meeting the gang at ABC Virtual.  I will touch base with Ray later this week for an update on your activities. 
 
I have prepared a list of legislative actions through 2/5/2005 listed by ISAC.  The  The spreadsheet attached begins with a list of those bills that I feel may be of interest to ICIT members.  Following worksheets are simply copies of the ISAC spreadsheet.  If you wish to track these on your own or view other bills, I highly suggest visiting http://www.legis.state.ia.us/Legislation.html and checking out the tracking and review capabilities. 
 
I have highlighted 5 bills, 3 of which deal with changes in how property that is annexed is taxed.  The changes on these 3 bills would require some innovative changes in current tax systems so I thought you may wish to review them. 
 
House Study Bill #1015 is about creating a criminal penalty for unauthorized collection and disclosure of personal information by computer that I know will interest many of you. 
 
I ask that you all review House Study Bill #55.  It is promoted by the Recorder's Association and they have asked our help on this before.  Micah and others provided good reference information last year concerning pricing by other states. 
 
Specifically, they are asking for our assistance in determining the methodology to identify costs related to technological operations in providing public record information. 
 
Iowa Code 22.3A (2a) "... a.  The amount charged for access to a public record shall be not more than that required to recover direct publication costs, including but not limited to editing, compilation, and media production costs, incurred by the government body in developing the data processing software and preparing the data processing software for transfer to the person. The amount shall be in addition to any other fee required to be paid under this chapter for the examination and copying of a public record. If a person accesses a public record stored in an electronic format that does not require formatting, editing, or compiling to access the public record, the charge for providing the accessed public record shall not exceed the reasonable cost of accessing that public record. The government body shall, if requested, provide documentation which explains and justifies the amount charged. This paragraph shall not apply to any publication for which a price has been established pursuant to another section, including section 2A.5..." 
 
In determining these costs, issues such as bandwidth costs, maintenance costs, licensing fees media costs may be broken down to units that can be applied to an individual request for information. ICIT is being asked to provide the methods for establishing the proportionate share chargeable to these requests.  As each county's systems is unique as are most information requests, development of generic formulas where a Recorder or other official could plug in a value such as bandwidth costs and divide it by file size times transmission rate would be beneficial to them.
 
I would suggest that the board solicit volunteers from membership to review this issue.  This group could review the information presented to the Recorder's last year, investigate different information delivery methods and identify applicable and quantifiable technology costs.  With that information, the group could perhaps work with Recorder's Association members to develop ways to calculate technology costs.
 
Let me know what you think.
 
Finally, I would like to note that the first legislative "funnel" date has been set for March 11.  For the most part, this first of two funnels marks the date that bills have to be reported out of committees to receive further consideration.  I say "for the most part" because we have all seen bills come out of nowhere in the final weeks of the session.
 
Should any of you or our members identify other bills of interest to ICIT, I ask that you send me a note.
 
Report respectively submitted.
 
Jeff Rodda
Iowa Counties Information Technology Organization (ICIT)/
Polk County Auditor's Office
jroddaicit@msn.com [preferred]
jrodda@co.polk.ia.us
(515)286-3031
(515)286-3608(FAX)



« December 2017 »
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31            
News